In April 2015, Sunway REIT formalised its Sustainability Framework which outlines its strategic commitment to sustainability focus and practices. It is an integral part of our approach to risk management. The framework promotes transparency and accountability while having a positive impact to the people and environment. It also encourages our business units to conduct business in a sustainable manner by promoting sound environmental and social practices.
The framework aligns our strategy and initiatives in the execution of sustainability initiatives. Key measurables have been incorporated to evaluate the effectiveness of these initiatives.
VISIONTo be on the forefront with steadfast commitment to enhance values to stakeholders
- Sustainable Growth, Environmental Stewardship, Community Engagement
MISSIONTo deliver stable income distributions and growth in total return over the long-term through responsible business strategies supported by prudent risk management and sustainability framework
- Build resilient businesses that lead in their respective markets through focus on our acquisition strategy, asset enhancement initiatives and capital management that is in line with maximising unitholders’ interests.
- Commitment to responsible business practices, especially in employee welfare and development
- Being environmentally sensitive and proactively manage our footprint
- Partnership and engagement with the communities around us and making positive impacts.
SUSTAINABILITY CORE FOCUS AREAS
Responsible Business Practices
- Business ethics & code of conduct
- Adherence to the code of corporate governance
- Risk management and internal control to ensure business continuity
- Employee engagement and development
- Health and safety
- Formation of Independent Board of Directors to protect unitholders’ interest
Proactive Engagement with Key Stakeholders
- High level of disclosures, transparency and fair dealings
- Proactively engagement to identify key material issues and how to address these issues
Process and Resource Efficiency
- Continuous process improvement to achieve optimal operating efficiency
- Materials and resource management to minimise negative impact on the environment and maximise cost savings without compromising on products and services quality
- Energy and water conservation
- Recycling and waste / effluent management
- Awareness programme on environmental protection and climate change
Giving Back to Communities
- Community engagement
- Youth development programme
- Industry affiliations
- Investors education / awareness programmes